Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I don't want to feel like this, no it's not meant to be like this...


The events of today have left me wondering, where is the line between being the bigger person and being a doormat? Or is there even a line? Maybe they are the one and the same.
Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles." (Matthew 5:38-41)
This passage flies in the face of the idea of standing up for yourself and avoiding being trampled on by other people in your life. However, these sentiments only seem to apply to certain types of relationships. If I were in a dating relationship with someone who was causing me hurt (I'm not talking physical abuse, just not treating me the way I think I deserve to be treated) no one would expect me to stay and try and fix the relationship. However, if I was having the same problem with a friend, walking away would be frowned upon.
When do you stand up and fight and when do you turn the other cheek?
Or should we always turn the other cheek?
How do I stay true to my desire not to cause others pain and sadness without putting myself in a situation that hurts?

No comments:

Post a Comment