Tuesday, May 9, 2006

All the mundane has brought out the rebel I was born to be...

Rebel:
1. To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
2. To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention.
3. To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance

I never thought that choosing to intern at The Embassy next year would turn out to be a rebellious act, but it has. I mean, spending a year volunteering at a church, seems like a pretty goody-two-shoes move, but people around me seem to see it as defiant and crazy. Some, like my Dad who is slightly enraged by my irresponsibility, show disapproval which threatens my belief that I'm making the right choice, while others, like my capitalism-loving friend who cannot comprehend the idea of not making money next year, genuinly don't understand and their questions challenge me and force me to re-examine my decision... but whether they are respectful or crushing, it is still a lack of support.

But that's only half the story... on the other hand I have amazing friends who listened to me work through all my options, prayed for me and encouraged me, told me what they saw in me and where they thought I would be happy, sent emails telling me that they were proud of me or checking how I was doing, and supported me every step of the way. I know that God is working through these people, watching out for me and lifting me up when the negative voices start to get louder than the loving ones... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment