Monday, November 2, 2009

In the image of the cross, our own sense of tragedy is affirmed...

One of my classmates works with energy healing. She believes that if the energy line along our spine is clear of blockages we will be happier and healthier people. In order to help people achieve this she tunes her own body to their energy and clears any blockages in their energy line. She told me that during a particularly stressful day of our seminar last week she spent some time clearing everyone's energy and that after she was done she noticed the stress level go down in the room, everyone became more at ease. When she told me this I wondered to myself why I hadn't thought to pray for my classmates in that situation. She believes strongly in this use of energy, so she used it to help the people around her. If I believe strongly in God, why didn't I use my beliefs in that way?
There is some sort of disconnect between my work as a counsellor and my faith. Which is strange because when I face difficult and tragic circumstances in my own life or alongside my friends, I know that only God can provide the necessary peace and healing. But when I face these things alongside my clients, I'm left wondering which skill or intervention to use. Perhaps because prayer and turning to God isn't a sanctioned answer by the academic world or secular workplace, and it is definitely inappropriate to impose my beliefs onto my clients. But should God not still be involved in the process? If only by my own silent plea for His presence and help?
How do I bring myself back to the place where my first instinct is to turn to God... in EVERY area of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment