Monday, March 1, 2010

I hold this to be the highest task for a bond between two people: that each protects the solitude of the other...

In her book Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert discusses the idea of place and people having a word that represents them, or the season that they are in. I think that my word for this season of my life is solitude. I crave time alone and honestly enjoy the time I have to myself, puttering around the house, renewing my heart. I've been learning more about introversion and nurturing and honouring that part of myself.

Paradoxically, I've also, by necessity, been more outgoing than usual. Making small talk at the coffee shop, entering into deep conversations in counselling, all with strangers. Likely, it is this need to be outgoing that has increased my need for solitude in the first the place.

I wonder how long this season of my life will last. Has my desire to be a homebody and hang out by myself come as a consequence of getting older? Or as I grow more comfortable with my role as a counsellor will my need for solitude decrease? Only time will tell, and until then I will be here, relishing my solitude.

(quote by Rainer Maria Rilke)

No comments:

Post a Comment